Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Getting Back Into It

The last time I can remember the jumps going up in the show ring and my riding improving I was fourteen.  Something had possessed me to enter the high jump competition at a local show having already eaten stone dust at 2'6".  Ben, my trusty steed, was a massive 17.3 h Selle Francias/QH.  What he lacked in good conformation, he had in heart.  We cantered down to that big cedar fence, my mom freaking out because I refused to gallop down to it as the other competitors did, and my horse sailed over the fence time after time.  A rub knocked us out at 4'2".

Fifteen years later, the heights I'm jumping aren't glamorous and my horse is a 16h OTTB I picked out and rebacked myself.  But, I don't think I could be having more fun.  I went to Tamarack for the jumper show on the 31st.  Suki was a good egg at 20".  She was a better egg at 2'.  She was better than I could have hope for at 2'3".  A few people were surprised I entered her at 2'3" in the end.  I think the quote was, "I know you said that you were going to, but I wasn't sure if you actually were."  But, I did.  I did because, for the first time I can remember in a long time, when the jumps got a little better, everything got a little better.

When I let my mind clear, and somehow when I'm on her it actually does, I get a little bit hypnotized by that feeling of 3-2-1-jump you get when it all comes together.  This is the wonder of having a horse that jumps like she has crosshairs, of a horse that sight sees a bit around the ring, yet isn't fazed by the shock of "suddenly" facing a jump.  If Suki were a human team mate, she'd probably have been happy I finally gave up and drank the Kool-aid.

Speaking of that Kool-aid, I wandered by Denny's today and I watched a XC school.*  He was joking with an older male rider about how he, the rider, had gone to type-a rehab.  Suki is my type-A rehab.  Cause, g-ddamn it, she's going to jump the jump and if I want her to jump it nicely I need to relax. And relax is the one thing you can't do on command unless you make a habit of it.  The only way to make something a habit is to repeat it over and over again.  I guess I'll just have to jump my horse.  Darn.


*This to could happen to you, if you're willing to give up whatever world it is you understand, move to VT, and pick a brand new career so you can stay like I did.  I just hope you like your winter to potentially go from October until May with some odd extra season called "mud season" crammed in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment